Thursday, August 14, 2008

Excited

I don't know if excited can adequately express how I feel, but it's a start.  In the post before this one I wrote about God's perfect timing in Tony getting a new position and us finding somewhere to live.  Since we are moving, I had to figure out what I was going to do to help out financially.  Tony preferred that I did not continue to do day care (it would be a last resort option), so I started looking around to see what I could find.  Since there are only a few small towns around the area, there are not a lot of jobs.  Plus, I really wanted to find something were I could still spend time with Joshua each day and be available to watch the Caleb on days he has off school.  There was a posting on the school's website for one full-time and one part-time teacher's aide.  That was something that I had thought about doing once the boys were in school, so I sent in my application in July.  I didn't hear anything back so I called the school and found out that the principal is off during the month of July.  So I waited until last week to call again.  I asked if the positions had been filled and the secretary put me on hold...then came back and said that the positions had been filled.  I was bummed.  I love working with kids.  All the other jobs I applied for didn't involve kids, but I figured that God would put me in whatever working situation he could use me in (whether it was my first choice or not).  I had also put in an application at the local bank for a part-time teller position the week before.  I called there to see if that position was still available.  The person in charge of hiring had been on vacation (that's the reason nobody had called me back).  They said to leave a message and the manager would be in later that morning.  An hour or so later the phone rang.  I glanced at the number and since the first 3 digits were the same that I had just called, I figured it was the bank calling back.  I was totally taken by surprise when it was the principal from the grade school.  He said they were doing "pre-screening" phone interviews with people that had sent resumes in for the teacher's aide positions.  I about started jumping up and down.  I was totally unprepared.  I tried to keep myself composed while answering the questions.  I was so excited that this was still a possibility.  After the phone call I said, "I guess those job positions haven't been filled...maybe the secretary just meant they weren't taking any more applications...oh my goodness, this might still be a possibility...this is so exciting..."  A little while later the principal called back and said that they would like me to come in for the actual interview with himself and a few other staff.  I get so nervous in situations like this so I asked the small group that we were a part of last year to pray that I would stay calm and not be so nervous.  While I was driving out for the interview I had a peace and calm about the situation.  I thank God for that.  I felt that the interview went pretty well.  There was a full-time and part-time teacher's aide position available.  I told them that I would prefer the full-time position (to help more financially), but that I would also like to be considered for the part-time position. The principal said that they would call by Friday with their final decision.  About 5 minutes after I got home the principal called and said thanks for coming in for the interview and that they had a lot of good applicants-it sounded like he was going to say "thanks, but no thanks" type of thing-and we would like to recommend you to the Board of Education for the part-time teacher's aide position.  (The Board will finalize all new positions with a vote next Wednesday)  He said that they had several applicants with teaching degrees and several applicants that had previous teacher's aide experience, but they felt that after talking to me in the interview and with my personality they felt that I would be a good fit for the school.  "Thank you God for making me just like you did" was what I was thinking.   I was so excited that I could hardly contain myself on the phone.  When I got done talking to him on the phone I jumped up and gave Tony a big hug and started crying (happy tears).  This transition time has been a little overwhelming at times, and this job will give me the chance to spend time with Joshua and also be home when Caleb is off of school.  Once again, God's perfect timing and plan are unfolding before my eyes.  I cannot tell you how joyful and thankful my heart is that God has once again worked in a wonderful way.

4 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Wow! What an awesome story! I got teary!

I'm so happy for you and congratulations on your new job! That is truly wonderful and you deserve it!

Jill said...

YIPPEEE!!!

Melis said...

Congrats Amber! That's so awesome. I got teary too.

Jessica said...

Yay!!! How excited! Isn't God good!