Friday, August 29, 2008

Both of my babies are at school...

This one I was prepared for...



This one I was not...


Since Tony got a new job, we moved about 25 minutes from where we used to live.  Caleb was nervous to start at a new school, but he's doing much better now.  He's getting to know the other kids' names and getting familiar with the teachers and facility.  The Thursday school started, we took Joshua to the preschool screening at the school.  They told us that there were 5 more spots available for this coming school year, so they would let us know on Friday whether he would start after Labor Day or not.  The next day the teacher found me and said that since the preschool is state funded, Joshua didn't qualify because he could technically go to kindergarten. (His birthday is Aug. 15th, and he just turned 5, so we decided that we would wait until next year to send him to kindergarten.)  Since I work in the afternoons, I could stay home with Joshua in the mornings and Tony could come home and be with him in the afternoons, but he would not have any of the interaction with other kids like he's used to and needs.  We also found out on Sunday night that kindergarten goes for the full day.  On the school website it said that kindergarten got out at 1:30 (they had not updated it yet)...which would not have worked well with our schedules...but once we found out it got out at the same time as the rest of the school, it gave us something to think about.  We decided that since Joshua's preschool screening went well and since he loves playing with kids and needs that interaction, we would register him for kindergarten.  So on Monday we got him registered and ran around town getting his physical, immunizations, and vision check-up.  On Tuesday, he started kindergarten.
It was a little weird seeing both of the boys standing, waiting to go into the school...


Tony asked if I was okay when we got home because I had been so quiet.  I said "yes" and then came to get a big hug from him and started crying.  "Both of my babies are at school,"  I said.  I was prepared for Caleb to go to school, but everything with Joshua happened so fast that I didn't have a lot of time to prepare myself for that.  They've both been at school for a few days now and it's working great.  Since I'm at the school working in the afternoon, I get done when the boys do.   I pick them up from their class when the "walkers" are released.  When I went to get Joshua from his class all the kids said "Bye Josh, bye Josh, etc."  It was so cute.  Everyone, including mom, is making the adjustment quite well.  Now I just have to prepare myself for when they start riding the bus after Labor Day...  


4 comments:

Jill said...

It is fun to see the "first day" pics on here. Glad to hear that Caleb is adjusting to the new school. Does Joshua like kindergarten? I'm glad to hear you're adjusting, too : ) love you.

Sarah said...

I think the moms have a harder time than the kids do!

I'm glad you're back online. I had to drive by the LifeCenter the other day and I got so sad. It was just nice knowing you guys were always there.

Hope all is well. I miss you guys already haha!

Emily said...

Hi Amber, I didn't realize that you moved! I look at your blog every now and then since Jill has a link from hers :) You've sure had a lot of changes the past couple of months. Wow! Isn't it strange to see your little boys grow up. Sometimes when I am having a whole CONVERSATION with my nephew about something I can hardly believe he is big enough to talk to me the way he does. I still remember rocking him to sleep :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm so happy that the adjustment has been good. They look so cute - their backpacks are as big as they are! =)